- Η Αλήθεια να Λέγεται (Truth be told) - Commentary, in Greek (there's a separate site for articles in English) by an eponymous and apparently educated and literate woman, on Greek politics, society and the economy, as well as on more abstract issues, like morality and religion (very much anti-Greek Orthodox), generally from a conservative standpoint. This is representative of a number of Greek blogs (and Greek intellectuals), who in spite their education and intelligence, adhere to the belief that "Hellenism" (with or without the Christian Orthodox component) and "Judaism" are and have been since ancient times in conflict.
- Αντιφωνητής - Web site of print journal by same name. Posts in Greek and English on current Greek political and social affairs, often specific to Thrace (northeastern region of Greece) and with frequent anti-Jewish and antisemitic references.
- Alkimos archive - Clearly the owner is educated and most posts (in Greek) are on items related to current and recent Greek history, politics and society, with a few covering technology and science. The author comes across as moderate in tone and reasonable in argument, albeit with a decidedly anti-American and, to a lesser extend, anti-European streak. But when the writer looks for causes outside Greece then various conspiracy theories, featuring Americans and Jews as the villains, are rehashed by way of explanation.
- Allu Fun Marx: Βόλτες στην Blogoslovakia - Posts, in Greek, on Greek music, poetry, Che Guevara and Greek leftist and nationalist musings, sprinkled with occasional anti-Israeli and anti-Jewish comments.
- Amphiktyon - A retired Greek army officer runs this site, which possesses significant entertainment value, although this was probably not the site owner's intention. The gentleman espouses rather idiosyncratic views underscored by the usual theme that everyone is out to get the Greeks. Many of his views are expressed in free-verse poems of moderate length, wherein he advocates the espulsion if immigrants, bemoans the current stateof afairs in Greece and castigates (surprise!) Jews and "zionists" for everythings that's wrong with the world.
- Avragioz - Nationalist-socialist blog, mostly railing against the current government, the Turks, the Former Yugoslav Republican Macedonians and, of course, Israelis and Jews in general.
- Berlin - Athen - Nationalist socialist blog in Greek and German (more recent posts are mostly in Greek). Revisionist takes on recent history (e.g. "The Nazis did not kill women and children ...but the Israelis consider them a perfect target") and obsession with the real or imaginary Jewish heritage of public figures: The chief editor of the German newspaper Die Zeit is identified as Jewish because he wriote against Iranian President Αhmedinadschad's speach at the Durban II conference, a speech that prompted a walkout by Western countries. The supposed Jewish heritage of Greek opposition leader George Papandreou''s grandmother (!) is mentioned as an indication of his supposed pro-Israeli bias. It's all a big conspiracy for this writer.
- Δελτίο των 11 (News at 11) - From the site's statement (translated from the Greek): "No to the banker's junta ... No to the "chosen people" and their byproducts". Antisemitic conspiratorial blog, which bases its outlook on the premise that "since ancient times there has been a conflict between two worldviews which emanate from from the philosophers and wise mean of each nation" (post with title "Hellenism vs. Zionism")
- Εθνικά Θέματα - Ελλάδα (National matters - Greece) - Nationalist blog that is unabashedly antisemitic (title of entry from 4/21: "The Jews, one insidious people - Εβραίοι, ένας ύπουλος λαός"). It has advocated the lifting of Greek nationality from Greek Jews and their expulsion. The usual claptrap about how Jews conspire with the other usual suspects against Greece.
- Enotian revolution (huh?) - A most unusual coat of arms, a Byzantine-like double headed eagle holding a hammer and a sickle, Byzantium meets the Soviet Union. A blog by an eponymous Greek-American, in Greek and in English, who rails against his country's perceived injustices towards Greece. The rest of the world does not fare much better, either. Evidently, anti-Greek sentiment is rampant throughout the globe, at least according to Fidanakis. Naturally, Turkey is the worst offender with the hapless Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia not far behind. He would like to unite all of Turkey's historical enemies with Greece as the leader, of course. The usual antisemitic conspiratorial drivel.
- Filostratos - This blog (in Greek) reflects a relatively small but quite vocal group of Greeks who, during the past 10-15 years, have come out against the Greek Orthodox church and its clergy because, they argue, Christianity extinguished the glorious ancient Greek civilization and culture. Jews are considered responsible for introducing Christianity to the world (Εβραιοχριστιανοί - Hebrewchristians), something that the more extreme adherents to this view consider as an organized conspiracy to subvert the Greek civilization.
- Greek alert - Nationalistic and Greek Orthodox religious blog in Greek. Enemies within (immigrants) and without (Macedonians, Turks, Europeans, Americans). Not explicitly antisemitic but the mask comes off often, disguised, of course, as anti-Zionism.
- Greek American News Agency - Mostly in Greek, not quite a blog, but reads like one, covering items of interest to Greek-Americans and Greeks. In addition to "news" on arcane disputes among political and religious factions of Greek-Americans, the site generally presents items that purport to show that American policy towards Greece is pro-Turkish and pro-Macedonian, often because of the influence of the "Jewish lobby".
- Hellas-Orthodoxy - Self-styled Greek Orthodox blog but with no affiliation with the Greek Orthodox Church. The latter, especially under its current leadership, is keeping clear of extremist views, in fact the official position of the Church has been for many decades to condemn antisemitism, even though some of its clergy and its followers have been paying no heed. So do these posting at this site the usual antisemitic accusations that Jews are responsible for the world's ills. It would be quite interesting, however, to put these people and those writing in, say, in the Filostratos blog (see above) in the same room and lock the door...
- Hellenic antidote - Nationalistic Greek-Cypriot blog in English. The eponymous blog owner writes a lot about anti-Cypriot and anti-Greek conspiracies by the U.S. and Europeans (the British are the worst offenders, perhaps because they allow him to live in their country) and usually expresses great disdain towards anyone who is not Greek. Not explicitly antisemitic, but the owner, who is quick to respond to any comment he disagrees with, lets go without comment the usual antisemitic drivel posted by visitors to his blog.
- Ο Καθρέπτης της Παγκόσμιας Σκηνής (The Mirror of the World Scene) - Virulently anti-American, anti-European, anti-Globalization and, of course, anti-Isreal and anti-Semitic blog. Plenty of links to well-known antisemitic blogs and the posts never fail to claim that Jews are responsible for much that happens in the world. A reporter who writes (in a British paper) unfavorably about Greece is identified as a "known zionist", the implication being that this is relevant and related to the reporter's presumed anti-Greek bias.
- Makelio (Greeklish for Slaughter) - Combines extreme conspiratorial musings with soft porn. Masons, Turks, Americans and, behind them all, "Zionists" are responsible for everything that's happening in the world. Thy all see to have it in for Greece in particualar, although no explanation why they would bother.
- Νέα χωρίς φίλτρο φελλού (News without a cork filter) - Mixture of Nationalist-socialist musings, in Greek, on how the ills of Greece and the world's are due to conspiracies of transnational elites, with Americans and (of course) Jews at the forefront.
- Olympia.gr - General conspiratorial blog in Greek. Everything that goes wrong, from AIDS to the proven doping of Greek athletes during the 2008 summer Olympics to the criminal activities of Greek gangs, is a result of a dark plot, spearheaded by the US and some mysterious powers (occasionally explicitly fingered as Jews) to take Greece down one notch or two. A weird amalgam of anti-capitalist, semi-socialist, nationalistic, Greek Orthodox posts, likely reflecting several different individual contributors.
- Skeftomasteellhnika (We think Greek) - Crypto-to-open fascist commentary (in Greek in spite the tortuous Greeklish title), often in very crude language, accompanied by typical national socialist references to the plight of the working people because of actions of Americans and Western Europeans. Predominantly on Greek politics and society, with the obligatory anti-Israeli and anti-Jewish fantasies sprinkling the various conspiracy theories purporting to explain why the world has it in for the Greeks.
- Τα χάλια - Advertises itself as the "No. 1 Macedonian blog". Covers everyday events in Thessaloniki and Macedonia, rails against real and perceived shortcomings of the Greek government and politicians, especially with regard to relations with the Former Yugoslav republic of Macedonia and Turkey, and occasionally publishes stupid conspiracy theories and other antisemitic musings (see here).
- Thermopilai - Blog sponsored by right wing nationalist grouping. Rails against Turks, Albanians, immigrants, Americans, Greek leftists and many others. Jews are, of course, main targets (example: "Ο διεθνής σιωνισμός άλωσε καίρια την πολιτική ζωή της Ελλάδας, εγκαθιδρύοντας το κοινοβουλευτικό πλαίσιο" - "International Zionism critically destroyed Greek life, by establishing the parliamentary framework").
- Το Λημέρι (The den) - Nationalist-socialist blog with the customary antisemitic drivel. Finds "Zionist" conspiracies everywhere, especially against Greece. A picture of EC President Jose Manuel Baroso, who, for reasons unclear, has recently been a favorite target of this an dother blogs holding similar views, meeting with representatives of Jewish organization, is used to argue that Zionists are behind his ascention to the office he holds (which is relatively powerless).
- Το Μακεδονικό ζήτημα σήμερα (The Macedonian question today) - There are many blogs and websites engaged in the ongoing war of words between Greece and the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia; this one (in Greek) appears to be one of the more frequently linked ones. Extremely nationalistic, virulently anti-American and ready to accuse, usually in very crude and rude language, everyone outside Greece as well as many inside of participating in a massive conspiracy against Greece and its interests in Macedonia. Co-conspirators are Americans, Turks, Masons, the Illuminati (!) and, of course, Jews.
- Τόπος Ελλήνων (Place of Greeks) - Advocates the superiority (moral, cultural, intellectual) of Greeks and rails against America, Europe and, of ourse, the "Jewish-Zionist" conspiracy that, according to the eponymous site owner, is responsible for all sorts of ills that plague the modern world, such as the drug trade, wars, the Sept. 11 attacks and the current world financial crisis. Fairly entertaining (albeit unintentionally) otherwise...
Tuesday, March 31, 2009
Antisemitism in Greek blogs
The purpose of this blog is to keep a continuously updated list of blogs, most of which are written in Greek, which persistently publish antisemitic comments or permit, without response, hence implying agreement, antisemitic comments to be posted by readers. There are many Greek nationalist blogs and web pages (both of the right and left-wing flavors), but unless they also publish explicitly antisemitic or anti-Jewish comments, they are not listed here. Shedding light into these dark recesses of the minds and souls of some modern Greeks is the only way to hold accountable those (and there are far too many of them) who, usually from the shadows of anonymity, peddle poisonous rumors, spread conspiratorial innuendos and present lies as facts because of some dark obsession with Jews. As Plato wrote, "We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy is when men are afraid of the light".